LPIA Shares Top Tips, Airport Amenities and Festive Events to Take the Humbug Out of Holiday Travel
December 16, 2016
The busy holiday travel season is well underway at Lynden Pindling International Airport (LPIA). Officials anticipate an estimated 85,000 passengers will move through the airport’s facilities between mid-December and New Year’s Day.
This weekend, figures are ramping up with passenger projections for US Departures nearing 9,000 and more than 16,500 international arrivals between Friday December 16 and Sunday December 18.
With anticipated heavy traffic in and around the terminals, Jan Knowles, Vice President of Marketing & Communications at Nassau Airport Development Company (NAD), encourages travelers to pack some patience and plan ahead when flying to or from Nassau/Paradise Island.
“We’re seeing our numbers pick up as people start making their way home for the holidays or heading to Nassau to celebrate Christmas in The Bahamas. We know that getting to their destination is what matters most to our passengers and we want to ensure that their experience in the airport is as stress-free as possible,” Knowles said. “All of our airport stakeholders have dedicated time and resources to improving passenger movement and overall operations from the curbside to the airside.”
Technology like Automated Passport Control (APC) kiosks in US Customs, an Electronic Boarding Pass (EBP) system for check-in via mobile devices and electronic call-up features in Bahamas Immigration and Bahamas Customs reduce overall wait times for travelers. To break up the monotony and add some holiday cheer, officials incorporated a robust holiday experience program complete with live entertainment, caricaturists, face-painting, in terminal games, shopping specials and visits from Santa.
Knowles offers additional tips to keep in mind when traveling through LPIA during the holiday peak:
- Confirm travel details in advance. Several days before your flight, check your reservation, determine baggage specifications and see what your airline offers for onboard service.
- Give yourself ample time. Anticipate extra hustle and bustle at the airport. Check-in at least three (3) hours early for US-bound flights and two (2) hours early for International departure flights. This gives you ample time to clear security and head to your gate area with time to shop, dine, relax and enjoy airport amenities.
- Get mobile! Many airlines offer passengers the option of online check-in and mobile boarding passes. Download all relevant apps and electronic travel documents before you leave for the airport.
- Choose to travel outside of the peak departure times. Early morning and evening flights are considered off-peak.
- Pack wisely. Restrictions still apply for liquids, aerosols and gels so remember the 3-1-1 rule: 3.4 ounces or less per container for liquids, gels or aerosols; packed in 1 quart-sized clear plastic zip-top bag; limit of 1 bag per passenger.
- ID? Check. Be sure to bring the right ID for your trip, or you won’t be going far! This includes a valid passport and for local travelers heading to the US, a visa or a police record issued within the last six months.
- Screen Smart—Take advantage of the wait in security lines by placing coins, keys and any small metal items in the screening bin, removing jackets and outerwear and unpacking your laptop from its bag. Leave gifts unwrapped. They may be opened for inspection as part of the baggage screening process and be sure to wear comfortable clothing and shoes that can be easily removed.
- Stay Connected—Check the airport website www.nassaulpia.com for the latest updates on flight schedules and information on parking, in terminal services or new security regulations and procedures. Connect with LPIA on social media at www.facebook.com/NassauAirport and on Twitter and Instagram @nassau_airport. Also, be sure to follow your individual airline carriers on social media for more specific flight details.
- Use Your Time In Terminal Wisely– Forgot someone on your list? Pick up last-minute gift items, a snack or magazine at one of our airport stores. Use free airport Wi-Fi to send emails or relax in one of two travel lounges at LPIA.
Enter Airline, Location, or Flight #